Personalize a Pillowcase Kid's Party
Looking for a unique party theme for your kid’s next sleepover? Then have a pillowcase personalization party! With all the fabric-decorating markers available today, it’s easy for kids to create a pillowcase to call their own.
What you need for a pillowcase personalization party:
- Pillowcases, plain and light colored (100% cotton may be recommended — check fabric marker instructions)
- Fabric markers
- Freezer paper
- Iron and ironing board (parents only)
We’ll use freezer paper as a stabilizer for our pillowcase. It will make it much easier to draw on the pillowcase by keeping the fabric from shifting while you’re drawing.
Note: Freezer paper is available in the plastic wrap section of your grocery store. It’s waxed on one side, but plain paper on the other side, which allows you to iron it to fabric without damaging your iron. You can easily remove it from fabric later. DO NOT substitute with any other kind of paper (wax paper, plastic wrap, etc.).
Parents: Prepare the Pillowcase
- Wash and dry pillowcase.
- Turn pillowcase inside-out.
- Place a large sheet of freezer paper over one side of the pillowcase, with waxed side down.
- Iron freezer paper to fabric with iron set to a medium temperature. Freezer paper should stick to the fabric.
- Turn pillowcase right-side out.
Kids: Decorating the Pillowcase
- Using fabric markers, draw on the side of the pillowcase that is backed with freezer paper.
- When you are finished drawing, peel the freezer paper off of the pillowcase.
- Follow fabric marker directions for setting the drawings. Our markers instructed us to wait 24 hours before washing.
Heather Mann is the mother of four boys, and is constantly on the lookout for fun games, activities, and recipes to keep her busy boys, well, busy. She designs and shares clever crafts with a frugal twist at her site Dollar Store Crafts and ideas for being the best mom ever (on a budget) at Dollar Store Mom.