Kid Science: Colorful Crystals
A fun project to do with your kids to teach solubility, evaporation, solids vs. liquids as well as the science behind how crystals form!
1. Start by mixing 1/2 cup epsom salt with 1/2 cup hot water until completely dissolved (about a minute or so).
2. Add 10-15 drops of food coloring and mix well
3. Pour the cooled liquid into clear recycled take out lids (the small ones work great).
4. Allow to dry in a sunny place for about 24 hours. See how crystals form as the water evaporates!
5. Optional – punch a small hole on the edge of the lid, add a string and hang in a sunny window!
Allison Waken is a kids’ activity and craft guru always ready to try something new. See more on her blog, All for the Boys, where she features activities and crafts that inspire creativity, play and interaction.